Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Church Hat Lady

OK, first let me apologize for being absent for so long! Things have been a bit hectic but it's all good. We officially moved into a new space and I love it. As I write this I'm looking out the window at a busy street, people waiting for the train, and a beautiful city skyline. It's not NYC, but not half bad! We are still unpacking and getting things set up just the way we want it but I wanted to take a few minutes to update you all.

With all this moving, unpacking, and uncertainty there have been sleepless nights and stressful days. When we thought about opening this store we wanted our true love for helping others to shine through. Yes, of course, we love fashion but we are also passionate about contributing to deserving non profits. If you aren't familiar with our business, Traverse Consignment, we are an upscale consignment store and a portion of all of our proceeds goes towards a local non profit.

I fully admit sometimes the clothes and shoes outshine our main purpose but I also know without selling these items we can't give to these organizations. When guilt of not giving enough attention to these charities sets in I try to reflect on what we are trying to accomplish. I am reminded of a recent trip I took to Wal-Mart a few months ago. I didn't think such a short trip to my personal hell would stay with me but it has.

There are sometimes when no other place has exactly what you need and that little demon voice in your head keeps repeating "Wal Mart has it. Wal Mart has it.". You try to shut it up by going to Rite Aid but it just won't quit. Finally you give in and the next thing you know you are in the parking lot praying for a quick, painless trip.

Luckily my husband was with me to hold my hand but I was still hoping to blink and be back home. We entered through the exit doors as my husband usually finds this amusing. As I began rushing to the aisle we needed I noticed an elderly woman in casual wear but my eyes were drawn to her hat that we Southerners know as a "church hat". It was Saturday so I thought she was just excited for church the next day. I watched her glide effortlessly through the produce section but every few steps she would stop and talk to someone with such excitement. Each person she spoke with seemed surprised and after a few seconds their faces lit up with a smile and they replied with what seemed to be a "thank you". I couldn't quite make out what she was saying but just assumed she knew all these folks and she was making the rounds. As we continued to rush from aisle to aisle gathering our things I kept seeing this woman and then my curiosity kicked in and I just had to know what she was doing. As I caught up with her in the toiletries aisle she eyed a middle aged woman and waltzed over to her. Without hesitation "Church Hat Lady" made eye contact with this other woman and it was  evident they were strangers. But with a sweet, soft voice C.H.L. told this woman how much she loved her sweater and how beautiful she was. With her mouth wide open from surprise and gratefulness the younger woman replied "thank you" and then C.H.L. kept moving.

So, this is what she was doing. Not paying much attention to my list anymore, I was intrigued by C.H.L. so I began following her around Wal Mart (in a non-stalker way of course). She made it look so easy and quite pleasant. There wasn't a lot of fuss involved in her approach and it was incredibly genuine. Each person she greeted she found one thing to compliment them on and she left them as quickly as she found them. And as she pushed her cart away the smile on her face was one of happiness and also satisfaction that she had made someone else happy. Even if it were just for a few seconds, she altered their day in a positive way.

As I begin to feel stressed or tension when it comes to this business I remember Church Hat Lady and realize why we started this business. We work hard so we can contribute a little that can possibly alter someones life in a positive way.  I encourage you to take a moment and channel C.H.L. today. You may not realize it or ever know it but you could make a positive change in someones life today.

Peace, Love, and Compliments,

Traverse Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment